81st ANTIAIRCRAFT BATTALION

Lineage
Constituted 15 August 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 81st Airborne Antiaircraft Battalion and assigned to the 101st Airborne Division. Inactivated 30 November 1945 in Germany. (Batteries C, D, E and F converted and redesignated Support Company and Companies K, L, and M, 502nd Airborne Infantry, respectively on 18 June 1948). Allotted to the Regular Army on 25 June 1948. Activated 6 July 1948 at Camp Breckenridge, Kentucky; inactivated 1 April 1949 at Camp Breckenridge. Activated 25 August 1950 at Camp Breckenridge. Redesignated 27 September 1950 as the 1st Airborne Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion. Inactivated 1 December 1953 at Camp Breckenridge. Activated 15 May 1954 at Fort Jackson, South Carolina; inactivated 25 April 1957 at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

Campaigns
World War II
Normandy (with arrowhead)
Rhineland (with arrowhead)
Ardennes-Alsace
Central Europe

Decorations
Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered NORMANDY (Batteries A and B, 81st Airborne AA Battalion cited for period 6-11 June 1944; WD GO 89, 1944)
Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered BASTOGNE (81st Airborne AA Battalion cited for period 22-27 December 1944; WD GO 17, 1945)
French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, Streamer embroidered NORMANDY (81st Airborne AA Battalion cited for period 6-8 June 1944; DA GO 43, 1950)
Belgian Fourragere 1940 (81st Airborne AA Battalion cited; DA GO 43, 1950)
Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in NORMANDY (81st Airborne AA Battalion cited for action on 6 June 1944; DA GO 43, 1950)
Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in BASTOGNE (81st Airborne AA Battalion cited for period 22-27 December 1944; DA GO 43, 1950)
Belgian Croix de Guerre 1940 with Palm, Streamer embroidered FRANCE AND BELGIUM (81st Airborne AA Battalion cited for period 22-27 December 1944; DA GO 27, 1959)
Netherlands Orange Lanyard (81st Airborne AA Battalion cited for period 17 September-28 November 1944; DA GO 43, 1950)