1. To take charge of this post and all government property in view.
2. To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert,
and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
3. To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
4. To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guard house
than my own.
5. To quit my post only when properly relieved.
6. To receive, obey, and pass on to the sentry who relieves me all
orders from the commanding officer, field officer of the day, officer
of the day, and officers and petty officers of the watch.
7. To talk to no one except in line of duty.
8. To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
9. To call the petty officer of the watch in any case not covered by
10. To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.
11. To be especially watchful at night, and during the time for
challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post, and to allow
no one to pass without proper authority.